Thursday, September 20, 2007

stock investment seminar

Attending the short seminar yesterday on "Investing in the Stock Market Today" was perhaps one of the few good moves I've decided to do these days.


The main speaker was brilliant. And I was there for the major points of the discussion, which for me, are the following:
  • The stock market is the barometer of economy
  • Greater risk, greater potential of reward
  • In an uptrend, buy and hold
  • In order to build wealth, take the rule of 72
  • A stock decision is part reason, part emotion
  • What you don't know you don't touch
  • Our Philippine economy is improving
  • Look out for the ability to grow
  • People act in anticipation of change
  • Three enemies: greed, fear... and hope
  • Re-assess your risk versus reward
  • Do not play the "all or nothing" game
  • Plan your trade and trade the plan
The new knowledge, including the technical fundamentals in the capital market, is very interesting. The next time I have cash to spare, I'm definitely investing in stocks. The whole learning process augments my business lessons in MBA right now.
And I'm glad I chose to take a front seat and listened attentively. There are some things you can pick out with eyes closed because you know you'll come out learning a lot and gaining a lot. Which I cannot say yet with a not-so-easy decision regarding my pictorial for the annual Xavier University yearbook! Should I go or should I not bother? Ugh.