Thursday, December 06, 2007

from both sides of the fridge

The other night before going to sleep, I found this folded note on the bed:

"Dear Mommy, I am sorry for not getting the singing competition. But I will do better next time I promise. Gela"

I smiled, folded it back and planned to store it somewhere. Now I remember the right spot for it.

Well, I like to think we are a regular family. And like a regular family, there is a different kind of altar-bulletin-control board that we keep. It is in a very strategic location, since it is where everyone converges when hungry. Yes, like any other mobile and active household, we adore the refrigerator. More specifically, its walls.

To hold current unpaid bills, personal reminders, perfect quiz scores (those less than that just end up posted in notebooks), school schedules, subdivision notices - the fridge walls can also display art works, original comic strips, juvenile literary attempts and love letters. Can you imagine the challenge to those little magnets?

"Happy B-day Mommy. I love you. I wish you can have fun. Love, Nika"

"My Day. My day was great. It was hard and the Civics long quiz was so easy I mean very easy. And now I will have tutor at the end of class I mean after the last subject. See you."

"To Mom and Dad. Hi guys. How are you? I am fine. Hope you are having fun. Hope you like this letter. Do you like it? Thanks for your love to me. Thanks for enrolling me in Saint Mary's School. Love you. From Nika"

"Don't go please. I will miss you Mommy. Why do you have to go?"

"I miss you Mommy"


"From Nika to Dady. I love you."

"To Mom. Welcome home Mom. Welcome back Ma. I missed you all morning. Please promise to leave a note when you go next time okay. Love ya all day. See ya later alligater. I hope you will like this letter. Love ya with all my heart. See ya. From Annika."

"Dear Dad and Mom. Thank you for being good to me and for caring for me. Thank you for supporting me in my assignments and for loving me. Your daughter, Angela"

Inside those refrigerator walls is food. The pretzels in the bag. The eggs for a hasty breakfast on a lazy Saturday. The red wine to calm a night's flighty nerves. The sweet ham, the peanut butter, the apples.

Yet outside is another kind of fare that feeds the heart. And without the worry of unwanted calories, it fills you. It fills you to the brim.. then it overflows.