Saturday, December 29, 2007

the five places a girl loves

Each girl has one of those sometimes. Bad-hair day. Your-giant-zit-defines-you day. You-are-not-getting-enough-loving day. Too-tired-to-make-a-difference day.

Aahh! From out of the doldrums, your energy has suddenly taken a sharp turn and it leads you somewhere. Might as well. The better to enjoy and rationalize your visits to these five places, my dear.

And today is the day!

THE BOUTIQUE.. Will anyone please tell me who brought these bubble dresses into the racks? Or the ones that start at your neck and falls down to nowhere? And whoever among the grownup girls believed that they'd look good on these unless they weigh 90 pounds? Well I've tried on a rich orange red and a dark black - is there any darker than black - and though the design and work in the crimson number was marvelous, I could not invest on something that can only be worn in December for the fear of being the walking stop sign throughout the year. Lesson from me: When in doubt, settle for black.

THE SALON.. Popular refuge and admittedly a major destination that you'd need to make a phone call and set an appointment to make sure that you are lined up and will be served by your own beauty technician. French tips for my nails are always a winner with me. Lifting my left leg for my foot spa, I wondered when did we ever turned a cleaning act into a social activity for other people to see? And I need my regular leg shave too! Lesson from them: When you prefer open-toed and strappy sandals instead of closed pumps, petroleum jelly works wonders for those peds.

THE SPA.. Armed with the key to my locker for the day, I stepped into the Havaianas flip flops courtesy of the center and slipped into nothing else. A five minute shower and a sauna as long as it takes the hour glass to be filled with sand. A time to indulge the back with a good deal of warmth, a sauna stay also kinda gives you the taste of hell it's creepy. But the Swedish massage was heaven. Aside from the physical relief, there must be a psychological effect from this thing. Well from someone who loves back rubs for a good night's sleep, I should know. Lesson from me: Wear that thong during a massage session. Makes the whole exercise easier.

THE SKIN CLINIC.. Dermatologists amaze me. Are they doctors or are they skin-deep beauty endorsers? Limiting my visits to the skin clinic to those stinging little shots whenever I have a giant pimple, this time I came for a facial. I think trust plays a major part here, you know. You are in this bed away from your great weapon the cellular phone and someone hiding her face behind a mask pokes and touches your face. But hey you asked for it! Lesson from them: No matter how busy the work schedule is, always take your 8-hour sleep every night.

THE HIP RESTAURANT.. All right, I admit that nothing beats the stand offering cotton candy of different flavors and colors - and that I had two servings today too despite my yet unfinished medication for tonsilitis. But it is only right to cap this day with a visit to the food strip and pick a shop that promises the most to my palate. As I am not an espresso girl, the choice was easily made. So spinach pizza and watermelon shake it was - with strawberry cheesecake on the side. Lesson from me: Shark's fin dumplings dipped in soy sauce before those wouldn't hurt a bit!

If there's a better way to end the old year and welcome the new, tell me and I'll sit up and listen.