Tuesday, June 19, 2007

simple joys from unsleep

Sometimes you are hit with nights when it is so difficult to sleep. You are tired to the bone, and do not want to lift another finger, but slumber and those precious hours of peace are so elusive.

Victim to what I foresee as another night of groaning and tossing and turning in the sheets, I commit myself to come up instead with my own little joys:

1. Gazing out of the window and seeing the dark garden so still, because there is not even a breeze in this warm night

2. Watching Coal, our black Labrador now free for his nightly roams, sniff around for his favorite frogs

3. Listening to the drone of the bedroom airconditioning unit - it hums, coughs and sputters, then hums again

4. Going out of the bedroom without putting on the lights, confident that after eight years in this house, I have known the walls and the floor

5. Sneeking into the refrigerator and picking out the salad dressing bottle to check its expiry date

6. Planning to get lettuce and singkamas, the lacking ingredients for that colorful salad I concoct in my mind

7. Feeling peacock-proud to recognize I am not touching the chocolate bars as I need to lose 3 inches off my waistline

8. Running silently into the giant brown and white couch and its big soft pillows, getting them all to myself this time

9. Lighting up a candle by the living room welcome mirror, wondering if incantations really work when said at midnight

10. Trying to lift the pink princess and fairies school bags of the girls, heavy with books and notebooks

11. Massaging Gela's limbs with baby lotion, not that the sleeping girl needs it, but because I just love the task

12. Combing Nika's hair and seeing the luxurious strands fall back into her lovely face and then tucking them by her ear

13. Whispering to each girl "I love you" and watching them move and mumble. It works everytime!

14. Picking up Reader's Digest and reading it in bed with my legs lazily propped up in Mike's tummy hehehehe

15. Staring at the sleeping face, now with prickly stubble, of the man who must love me very very very much or else

16. Turning on the bathroom water heater, and drinking my glass of warm nonfat milk while waiting

17. Enjoying my handheld shower head, the distinct feature screaming the ultimate feminine inside the bathroom

18. Revisiting my oversized thick white bathrobe, bought in pair with its bigger male model, way back when Mike and I were not yet married

19. Smiling at great gifts like the Linksys Compact Wireless Broadband Router which help you during wandering unsettled humid nights like this

20. Writing down thoughts into Blogspot and knowing just exactly these simple but exquisite pleasures of mine