Sunday, May 06, 2007

wired and wild


It was this Xavier University MBA summer class on Financial Management. My group was working on a business case. Analyze it, provide recommendations, and most of all, present it in class.

I knew that talking about it will not be enough for me. So I convinced the other eight members of the group that we present the case through a BBC World News report. It would be like a special feature where a panel of personalities involved in the issue shall be discussing about the case. They agreed to the concept.

That was just what I needed to set me off to the moon. Or let us say, to the desktop, and the Internet.

LimeWire: The music was the foremost requirement. I wanted the theme music of BBC News. I was able to download two versions.

Google Search: I looked up BBC logos and images. Got some still shots of the news station's ident that featured the various countries that the news company covers.

PhotoFiltre: The BBC logo will go with the intro music of BBC World News. But the JPEG files need a little cropping. And resigning to the fact that I could not convert them into a higher resolution, I racked my brains some more.

Barbie.com: You can pick Barbie and remodel the walls and furniture of her apartment. This provided an intermission to my ongoing mission.

You Tube: What if I can have it animated already? Moving pictures are always better than static ones. Found a good number of available videos of BBC intros.

At this point, I arrived at a wall. How could I move that video from live broadcast to the Compaq laptop as a file which I can manipulate into the AVP? Summoning Mike from his monthly competition at the Del Monte Golf Course, I learned that I have to wait for him. Texting and waiting was such a blah combination.

HBO.com: Checked the PPV boxing game of De La Hoya and Mayweather. It reported - In a closely contested match in which neither man was able to master the other, Floyd Mayweather, Jr. won a loudly booed split decision over Oscar De La Hoya to claim the World Boxing Council super welterweight title before a sellout crowd at the Grand Garden Arena.

Yahoo Search: Mike finally came home from his golf game and work on the AVP was uphill from thereon. Yet the video files of You Tube, if when indeed, you're able to download them, are in FLV format. Searched the trick on how to convert them into AVI Files.

Yahoo Answers: Real-life quests and questions need real-life solutions. Got a tip on how to convert them online, and for free at that!

Media Convert: The answer to my problem.

Windows Media Maker: With all the tools I needed with me, I was ready to compose my introduction. After a lot of patient tweaking and aligning and dragging, I saved my work into a movie file.

Media Player Classic: Watched the report introduction with a big grin. My work is done! I can show this to the guys!

Hurrying to the group's meeting, I just could not stop being amazed at the endless possibilities when I am in front of the computer screen. And pleased with the fact that from that position I take
in the workstation at home, I could make what I want - mine.

I just fervently hope that our report content and conclusion would rightfully deserve that introduction.