Monday, May 21, 2007

stuck in my head

Earth, Wind and Fire plays an earworm as I sit down to write. Blame it on Ronnie, our dance instructor. He picked "Let's Groove" for our dance class tonight and now, aware of the overtime work still ahead of me, I'm planning to move myself and glide like a 747.

Since I'm not yet ready to do any technical writing, I played the song over again in my head. Smile smile. Well, dance class tonight was not so bad. We didn't get to bump and kick like we were cancan girls getting ready for a show. On second thought, if it is really necessary and world peace depended on it, perhaps we even can cancan!

All this dancing is making me feel like a girl. And Bert says that girls like to dance. Oh, I'm reminded. I am a girl! But am I really getting the needed workout from this gyrating and double stepping and traipsing around the dance room of Sports Avenue?

Feeling my back and hips, I guess I do. Dance may not be as classy as Pilates or as graceful as swimming, but the mat exercises and occasional turbo jam that come along with it are really serious work. Honestly, I have a special aversion to mat workouts. The only saving thing is the wonderful music that we use - a great version of "Now We Are Free" from the soundtrack of Gladiator.

And this EWF song from the 70's insists that you will find peace of mind on the floor.

Maybe. The mirror before me dares me to smile and invites me to move and have fun. Monday nights to let you loosen up and claim that deep sleep. But not yet because I still have a real load of work to do.

With this song playing like a pernicious record in my head, I'm also taking note to renew my membership with Sports Avenue this Wednesday.

Actually I plan to stop and maybe really pursue boxing, but I owe this great new Bratz doll I got yesterday a fighting chance. To stand back 'cuz it's not just about how you play, but about how hot you look when you win. And dancers are athletes too!

So... let this groove get you to move. It's alright, alright! Let this groove set in your shoes. Stand up, alright!

Shared the spice of life for an hour on the dance floor. Time to really work.