Wednesday, July 30, 2008

hello, dolly

Around fifteen years ago, I started buying and collecting the comic books of The Family Circus. My sister Helen and I would enjoy reading them then, checking on each other if we got the joke of the cartoon drawing on each page.

Who would know that those little pocket books of sketches in black ink inside a circle will be loved by my own daughters so much that the comics would end up tattered and missing their covers? Well I think that's how we can say it's a beloved book, isn't it?

Taking a break from the series of reviews for the girls' school first quarter exams, Gela and I stretched out on her bed and read, once again, about Billy, Dolly, Jeffy and PJ. But it's clearly a girl's world. Dolly was undeniably the princess of that household.

I took the liberty of cleaning up some drawings, as I want to present them here. It's the least I could do for witty, fascinating, innocent friends of old.

"My left leg weighs 'zactly
the same as my right leg."

"I've heard that story before."
"Who read it to you, Mommy?"

"I want to talk to Grandma,
but PJ won't stop hugging her."

"Daddy, will you move
the sun please?"

"Let's find one
about a non-smoker."

Cartoons: The Family Circus