Friday, July 25, 2008

on drive mode


Friday morning and I needed to run to the Securities and Exchange Commission. Knowing that my nine-day old driver's license is burning an eager hole in my purse, I asked Mike if I can drive myself to the SEC office using the Sorento. He wasn't excited.

So he asked Mang Pio if he can accompany me while I drive. Mang Pio was not excited either. So Mang Pio, the family driver, will bring me there and back.

What's with the fear? I know that:

  • Knee must be slightly bent when any the pedals are fully pressed with the ball of the foot
  • The vision must be focused on where I want to be rather than where I am
  • The ideal hand positions are 9 and 3, not 10 and 2
  • Gripping the steering wheel tighter won’t give tires any more traction
  • Instead of pulling the left hand to 6, the right hand must push to 12 when turning left
  • Slamming on the brakes is not any better than slowly stepping on it
  • I must not overstep the limits of my own driving ability or handling abilities of the car
  • Hands should always be on the steering wheel
  • As always, smooth is key

I took the qualifying exams last week and I passed it, didn't I? Okay, I asked help from the staff of my driving school for two of the questions there. But I took that written exams and made it.

I think I am a relatively good driver now. Well admittedly, I just have to work on my patience. And get a pair of lady gloves. And check the right kind of heels for driving. Because I need to go places. And soon.

Now, parking is another thing.

Interiors: Kia Sorento EX