Wednesday, December 06, 2006

a year-end message


I used to play a little badminton. How little is not on terms of how often, but rather on how improved I became after three years of being at it. But the fast pace of the game and the skill and concentration required has piqued my curiosity and I became a fan. Add to that the wonderful company and the funny bets we made to provoke each other to playing well. It was exciting and inspiring.

Just like on the floors of Shuttle Square, Oro Chamber is a court where every day is a new and different day. We would sit there in the office with sometimes a leak on the roof, but incessantly, we planned and drummed up activities and services and ideas to better serve you, the members, and the whole business community. You see, the demands and expectations have risen up two notches for the Oro Chamber. But no matter, we are excited and inspired.

I found out that Chamber work is a consuming job. It requires your full attention, creativity, etiquette, protocol, control, people skills, technical knowledge – just everything you got in your bag of tricks. My kind of court.

As a year ends, I check out my score card and I hope that whatever the tally is, I shall have given my best to the various phone calls, trainings, inquiries, meetings, handshakes, conventions, vouchers, introductions, position papers, text messages, resolutions, accounting entries and emails that came my way.

Some people close the year with trepidation, some with regrets for what might have been done and accomplished. The year 2006 smiled for the Oro Chamber. Together we have set each point in the score card and we have seen what things we can do as partners.

I wish I can have time for badminton again. I do not know why, maybe because I have started to see what I can do. So stay excited and stay inspired. This is as much a wish for you as it is for me – when we close the year, and open another.