Wednesday, March 05, 2008

and the popcorn goes to

With my MBA study and review marathon and my comprehensive examinations finished, I sat down for a night's good movie. As I look at our burgeoning collection of movies, I run my fingers along the various titles. And sometimes I stop and smile at a personal favorite.

Here are a few:

THE USUAL SUSPECTS (1995)
Five Criminals . One Line Up . No Coincidence.

Redfoot the Fence: You guys interested in any more work?
McManus: We're always looking for extra work -
Keaton: We're on vacation.
Redfoot the Fence: Well. That's too bad. I got a ton of work and I don't have any good people. Not like you guys.
McManus: What's the job?


FINDING NEVERLAND (2004)
Unlock Your Imagination.

J.M. Barrie: What did you say your name was?
Michael Llewelyn Davies: Michael.
J.M. Barrie: What precisely is Michael's crime?
George Llewelyn Davies: He's my younger brother.
J.M. Barrie: Ah, fair enough. Sorry lad, I cannot free you.
Michael Llewelyn Davies: That's all right.



BIG FISH (2003)
An adventure as big as life itself.

Young Ed Bloom: I just saw the woman I'm going to marry. I know it. But I lost her.
Amos Calloway: Oh, tough break. Well, most men have to get married before they lose their wives.
Young Ed Bloom: I'm gonna spend every day for the rest of my life looking for her. That, or die alone!



STAGE BEAUTY (2004)
She was the first of her kind. He was the last of his.

Ned Kynaston: Men aren't beautiful. What they do isn't beautiful either. Women do everything beautifully, especially when they die. Men feel far too much. Feeling ruins the effect. Feeling makes it ugly.
Ned Kynaston: Perhaps that's why I could never pull off the death scene. I- could never feel it in a way that wouldn't mar the-


LA VIE EN ROSE (2007)
The extraordinary life of Edith Piaf.

American journalist: If you were to give advice to a woman, what would it be?
Edith Piaf: Love.
American journalist: To a young girl?
Edith Piaf: Love.
American journalist: To a child?
Edith Piaf: Love.