Sunday, November 16, 2008

when i play secretary


After three years of being the Secretary General of the Cagayan de Oro Chamber of Commerce & Industry Foundation, I hung my performing hat and bag of tricks, signifying the end of being the eyes, ears and hands of an organization.

A few weeks after leaving the chamber, the family business worked on its incorporation and I was automatically named Corporate Secretary. I think it was expected. The rest of the family must think I am so attached and friendly and familiar with papers and records.

My photography group, the Oro Photographic Society, recently elected its officers and hands-down, I was named Secretary. Maybe because I'm the sole female member, and maybe also because that was the guys' plan all along.

Being the Secretary is a boon and a bane. You know everything, and having access to the information gives you a central role to the organization. But it's just like being a bridesmaid too - you are so there in the altar among the officers, yet you are not actually the bride wearing the gown of power.

I have always dawdled and put off the preparation of the papers of the corporation I'm organizing. Should be the best time to finish it and for a change - be the President!