Friday, June 01, 2007

the path and the plan

Thursday afternoon, I met with Riza to plan for the joint project between Oro Chamber and Sticky Media - the IT Quiz Tournament which is set on July 14. After more than an hour's meeting with her whole team, Riza and I moved on to their office small receiving area and settled down on their couches. We covered a few more points on budget and document consolidation - then we got to more important stuff.

Like our career. And its path.

Soon after that I was back in my office and had a good talk with Eddielyn, who, if her resignation letter be followed, was serving her last day of work May 31. I asked her to reconsider, since I believe it will take me ages to train a replacement. With the various office projects, I badly need her! And we still need to write our office accounting manual. Bashfully she admitted that she was thinking along those lines for the past few days too.

But she's looking at her career. And its growth.

Now I consider those conversations. Indeed almost everyone wants his career to shoot high and fast. It seems like we want it to happen now. Expecting it around the next bend. Yet I know that opportunities may take weeks. Months or years. Sometimes, moves can even take twice the time you wish they would.

I also know that it's not only about the money. Of course there are instances when we jump on a job, no matter how we realize it's not contributing to our career, just because we need the money to pay for the lifestyle we imagine we should have. But most of the time, everyone would say that the pay is not the main consideration. There's also job satisfaction, and reaching goals. And being happy and having fun, as I've sometimes said to Shoogie.

I even scared myself last Wednesday when Richard asked me what I really wanted for my career. Like a backward "who do you want to be when you're grown up" question. I told him that I wanted to be just a trophy wife. It's trivial and funny at first glance. But I realized I meant it. I want to have the privilege of not slaving for money, but being able to do things that may not guarantee big bucks, yet I love - organizing musical shows, heading research studies, leading a writers' club, fashion designing, hosting events, dancing jazz, speaking to people, planning tours.

We look at successful people and placate ourselves that they got there by being in the right place at the right time. Yet it is more than that. Had they not been prepared and had not recognized the opportunity when presented, they could not have furthered their careers. The most successful people are still those who worked the longest and the hardest.

Career planning never ends. What you think is best today may not be significant tomorrow. A career evolves as you shape your goals, learn new things, get more confident, realize your values, identify your priorities, recognize your strengths and accept your limitations.

The obvious advice is - plan your career. Strategize the tasks that are needed to bring you closer to your goal. Solicit advice from someone who is willing to mentor you, preferably a person who can share his own experience and lessons.

Some people have a nose to identify opportunities. With a little faith and a lot of work, you can do it too. As I've bravely said to myself before, if I want something so much and I work for it, I can rearrange the way the wind blows and chances are I shall discover what I need to do and get what I want.

Gain the skills. Never stop growing and have fun while in the process of learning. Never just accept tasks, create your own projects. Turn ruts and career plateaus into thinking and restocking time. Slowly create the career you wanted. But be open and flexible - because you will never know the twists and surprises in store before you.

Yes, though the road to a fulfilling career may take many steps, the more important things are planning for it and ensuring that you are prepared when the right time will come. And on top of it all, enjoying the exciting trek along that path to one's dream.