Monday, August 25, 2008

forward to the past

When I was planning to organize local tour packages, I visited a resort that features rich ethno-Filipino heritage by showcasing artifacts, with tribe members demonstrating their customs and traditions. But it was a silent village – left not fully appreciated.

So I listed down an inventory of local heritage sites and I turned to reading materials, discovering that the first inhabitants in Cagayan de Oro City settled here as early as 377 AD, as a female cranium of that date was found with related artifacts in Huluga, a promontory overlooking Cagayan River.

My study led me to Museo de Oro of Xavier University which displays the relics and also houses the story behind the seeming conflict in heritage tourism and modernization development targets of the city. With the Heritage Conservation Advocates, I have learned that the museum fought against the demolition of Huluga for a bridge and road project.

Today the bridge and road project stands.

And I just got invited to attend the International Symposium on the Challenges in Heritage Tourism in the Bangkok National Museum in Thailand and to share what happened.

I think it shall also be the chance for me to learn what could have been done: the arguments of experts – financial support from private sector - integration of heritage appreciation in schools – a keener policy in heritage preservation – and not only for tourism show, but to rightfully claim a people’s own inheritance.