Friday, November 17, 2006

yes, you can say it

With all the fairy tales we tell our children, it is a big wonder why people intentionally miss out on the magic in life. I set to correct that with my wedding.

So six months before my altar date with Mike, with our pamanhikan already concluded - I just got enough time for me to go into the passionate preparation of the paper stuff. Do not be deceived by this so-called paper stuff. This did not only mean the singular license to marry, but it was everything and anything that I believed should be present in my wedding. Invitation letters that were to be sent before the invitation cards, the 5-page invitation cards, copies of the music sheets of the songs in the Holy Mass for the choir group, individually named place cards for each plate in the tables, the wedding script for the reception masters of ceremonies, the guide for the technical assistants for music and food and pictorials, the unpredictable guest list which must stick to the targeted number, and yes - the Missal.

I decided to prepare the Missal for our wedding. From the entrance of the bridal entourage down to the signing of the contract. I wanted to have it all covered. And Mike agreed that I could do it - and then he would have a look.

First, he found it too long. It seemed there were pages and pages of it. Then he claimed it had the makings of a grade-B movie production. And to top it all, did he really have to have a part in it? Why, guests would not really care much about the ceremonies anyway, and just look forward to its end so things would progress to the reception. That was mean and cruel. I listened to Mike alright, but by heavens, it was my wedding and I was getting this special day for me only once in my life and I swore I shall make it the way I wanted it to be. The long ceremonies stayed put on paper.

Then it was rehearsal time between the two of us. I wanted Mike and I to know the words before we are going to proclaim them in front of witnesses. When we went over them, his eyes grew big. Who would care what we will say? Why, do they really say that during the exchange of nuptial vows? No, I assured him that it was my idea. Will the priest officiating the sacrament of Holy Matrimony let me get away with it? Of course, I assured him again. Nobody gives that kind of a vow in church! Why not, it is really sane; it is the reason why we are marrying each other!

I can remember that our reading rehearsal was one of the few times Mike and I laughed during the last few days before our wedding. We would start reading the vows with our most serious faces, but that line will always break our resolve. We could not help smiling and grinning at each other.

We took one step forward with our nuptial vows. We vowed to love each other. So when we browse over our wedding pictures and see those shots where Mike was smiling and I was smiling - that was the time when he was declaring:

"Heidi, in front of God and this Christian community, I wed you to be my wife in good times and in bad, in joys and in sorrows, in sickness and in health. I LOVE YOU. I give and dedicate my whole self to you as your husband..."

What could get any better than that?

While I grew up with the stories of enchanted ladies who saw the sky weep and the unicorn fly, Mike grew up with visions of raging Indians and the World War II. He has been planted on terra firma on his own way, and he might have claimed that nobody vows I love you in front of a church congregation. But he did it just the same almost ten years ago.

After ten years, and you're busy proving it, it is nice to be reminded.